RYA Pre-entry assessment
- 1 day course
- Ages 16+
During the assessment the candidate will be asked to complete the following:
- Sail around a triangular course of 100m (minimum) legs to the best of their ability using all the boat's normal equipment, including spinnaker if carried.
- Sail a tight circular course around a stationary boat, making only one tack and one gybe.
- Sail a 'follow my leader' course behind another boat. The course may include all points of sailing and may be behind another sailing dinghy or behind a powered boat.
- Pick up a man overboard dummy; the boat to be stopped and more than one attempt should not be needed.
The candidate may also be asked to complete some of the following:
- Sail without a rudder, or with the tiller on a loose elastic, around a triangular course. You will be expected to make good progress around the course in a seamanlike manner (not applicable to keelboat or multihull instructor candidates).
- Lee shore landing and departure
- Anchor or pick up a mooring - wind against tide (if appropriate)
- Come alongside a moored boat - wind against tide (if appropriate)
- Recover a capsized dinghy and sail away (not keelboats)